Senior Accounting Manager
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
SHARE Finance is the European Shared Service Centre of the Umicore Group. SHARE Finance employs actually some 65 people and provides accounting services to Umicore’s BU’s and legal entities in the areas of transactional processing, legal entity and site accounting and master data management. SHARE Finance has centralized its main activities in Brussels (Belgium) and is represented also in Hanau (Germany); Paris (France) and Sofia (Bulgaria). In order to strengthen the SHARE Finance Management team, we are actually looking for a
Senior Accounting Manager
Purpose of the function
You plan and implement, together with the Head of the Shared Service Centre, the set-up of centralised transaction processing in the area of Legal Entity and Site Accounting tasks for the Belgian sites. Together with the BU Controllers, you define the service model, delivering and maintaining a high level of service in agreement with the Service level Agreements towards internal customers and stakeholders in the area of site accounting. You drive continuous improvement projects and provide expert advice (Subject Matter Expert) in case of scope extension of the Shared Service Centre. You provide functional and training support in future international / worldwide roll-outs of the STAIRS project; are involved as a Subject Matter Expert.
- You are responsible for the day-to-day management of the Legal Entity Accounting team located in Brussels (9 people). Responsible for the high quality and complete monthly and year-end closing and reporting of the IFRS and statutory accounts for the legal entities in scope:
- Ensure timely processing of the transactions related to centralized processes (e.g. payroll; major provisions…) and communicate pro-actively to the BU Controlling on exceptional transactions
- On particular mother company topic mastered at Umicore Corporate level, responsible for the correct translation in the accounts (participations, own shares, deferred taxes, equity reconciliation…).
- Coordinate together with Legal all statutory and legal requirements; manage in close contact with Group Tax the VAT and CIT aspects and act as first point of contact for the PWC audits
- You coordinate with the business units within Belgium, other Corporate departments (HR, Treasury, Tax, Legal, EHS) and external service providers (mainly Willis Towers Watson, actuary) the correct and timely closing of the financial accounts. You follow up and advise at an early stage in case of special transactions which require technical expertise on how these transactions should be translated in the books.
- You are responsible for the Site Accounting process managed at 3 locations in Belgium (Hoboken; Olen and Brussels). This includes the process by which business information is captured and analysed at a level below that needed for financial accounting purposes. It contains a.o. the capturing, processing of cost and providing cost accounting information; cost allocation set up, control and maintenance, including allocation of secondary cost at cost centre level, allocation of (plant) overhead cost to cost objects and internal activity allocation. You coach the Site Accounting Manager located in Olen, drive the standardisation of the process between sites: implement continuous improvements and best practices in the Belgian Sites.
- You transform, improve and integrate the intercompany reconciliation process for the legal entities within the Share scope (broader than only Belgium).
- You coach your team of some 20 people located at 3 sites (Brussels, Hoboken and Olen) , give guidance, plan, assign, prioritize and direct their daily work. You provide feed-back to your staff, handle conflicts and ensure continuous development in their expertise. You are involved in the selection and hiring process of new personnel.
- You identify, propose and implement continuous improvement projects within the area of the processes in scope.
- You manage relations with internal customers (mainly BU Controllers) in accordance with SLA’s, and define and report Key Performance Indicators on a timely basis, follow-up on performance metrics and take appropriate corrective actions as required.
- You ensure complete and up-to-date procedures are in place, in line with Umicore Minimum Internal Control Requirements (MICR) and implements best practices concerning Segregation of Duties (SOD) within his department. You develop and maintain cost accounting methodologies, policies and procedures. You are the gatekeeper of Umicore’s accounting set-up and consistent application of valuation rules by the different BU’s.
- You have a master degree in economics or finance and at least 10 to 15 years experience in a Finance department in an international environment.
- Leading an accounting from A-Z of a large industrial group, or experience in a banking environment, or exposure to hedging processes in a large financial institution is a plus.
- You are fluent in English with a good understanding of Dutch and French;.
- You have a very good knowledge of IFRS reporting standards and BE GAAP requirements, of cost accounting models and of the SAP ERP applications for the financial processes and the standard Office applications.
- You are a skilled project manager and familiar with change management
- You are an excellent people manager, keen to train, develop and coach personnel, who can drive team building.
- You are a team player, result driven, enjoying working in an international / multi-cultural environment
- You are customer oriented and service minded;
- You are a good networker and communicator, able to build and maintain effective relationship with each BU