Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 23-01-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
As a Technical employee at Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will support the development and evaluation of new materials and technologies in the field of battery materials through internal R&D efforts.
Within a cross-functional and dynamic team, You will actively contribute to the correct application of technical functions within the Functional Materials Battery platform and CRD. You coordinate and perform technical tasks within this group to support the needs of the programs and competences. You are the key contact for technical support, maintenance of equipment, equipment scouting, lab space, lab utilities and lab infrastructure modifications, consumables and parts ordering, ordering and stock maintenance and design or modification of devices and tools.
You are in charge of CAPEX requests and Commissioning of equipment
What you will be doing
- You give technical support to the battery materials synthesis competence teams. You are key contact person in case of equipment maintenance and breaks in the synthesis competences labs
- You form the bridge between TS (CRD) and the synthesis Competence team.
- You take charge in equipment and consumable scouting (research equipment) and contact with suppliers
- You are key contact for maintenance with external companies
- You work on the planning of new lab space, utilities and lab infrastructure.
- You are in charge of CAPEX requests and have an overview of CAPEX for the year and support the lab leads in preparing the list for coming year based on the input from the team
- You take responsibility in Commissioning of equipment and lead the necessary actions with other units to finalize it, in collaboration with the QEHS responsible
- You design or modify devices and tools in collaboration with TS
- You collaborate within the team and with other teams in order to complete the work. You collaborate with all levels on cross-functional projects
- You lead the definition and implementation of the safety aspects related to device itself.
- You write procedures on how to properly use the devices
- You provide functional guidance to different team members
- You travel to suppliers and R&D contacts
Who we are looking for
- You have a master or bachelor’s degree, or equal trough experience in chemical engineering, engineering, mechanics or related fields
- You know basic technical operations (e.g., electrics, mechanics, technical design).
- Knowing basic processes in the synthesis field (precipitation, milling, drying, filtration) and the equipment, tools and utilities used in it is a big plus
- You can collaborate in cross functional organization
- You have experience in ordering procedures - is a big plus.
- You have knowledge of basic safety procedures related to equipment manipulation.
- You are skilled in planning and time management.
- You are critical and analytical and have a sense of initiative.
- You have a sense for order, accuracy and figures.
- You are able to summarize and report.
- Knowing common office software and can smoothly work with QEHS specific information systems including LIMS, SAP and AMT is a big plus.
- Having a thorough knowledge of spreadsheets and databases is a big plus.
- You have knowledge of English and possesses language skills to understand equipment manuals and professional literature, to communicate with non-native speakers and for contacts abroad including customs documentation or officials.
- You have the necessary communication skills to exchange information in a clear and objective manner.
- You have technical and chemical acumen and can objectively assess safety issues in order to determine risks.
- You like to work within a team and like to take up a guiding/training role
- You are creative and think broadly, you are able to draw quick conclusions based on observations. Likes to solve issues
- You can perform technical tasks independently
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO