Senior Data Engineer
Belgium - Olen
Corporate Research & Development
Gepubliceerd op 06-01-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Purpose of the job
As a Data Engineer in Corporate R&D, you play a key technical role in the design, development and maintenance of a modern data platform to drive operational efficiency and facilitate data driven insights for our colleagues in research and development. As part of a cross-functional team, you will work closely together with other data engineers, data scientists and IT experts. You will be located in Olen (BE).
Your detailed responsibilities
- Identify business needs related to data ingestion, data processing and data visualization
- Provide expertise to support the R&D teams in optimizing the efficiency of their internal data processes.
- Create, maintain and optimize data pipelines, IT architectures and data models in Azure and SQL relational databases
- Propose and deliver developments (from ideation to design to implementation) and adjustments of existing data ingestions, analytics or interfacing.
- Define governance and validate that the technical structures are fit for purpose.
- Formulate suggestions to optimize business and IT processes
- Adapt the configuration in alignment with central IT Departments required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL ‘big data’ technologies
- Create small applications for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product and production needs
- Coordinate efforts with external consultants
- Teamlead for Data engineers
Who we are looking for
- We are looking for a candidate who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience preferred in ETL (TimeXtender, Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks), data warehouse (Azure SQL Server, Azure Data Lake) and data visualization (Power BI)
- Strong knowledge of dimensional modelling and software architecture
- Good coding knowledge and hand-on experience in Python
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Interest in and exposure to industrial activities, processes and technology
- Creativity in IT and technology
- Good oral and written English communication skills. Dutch is an asset.
- Leadership experience is an asset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Diversity & inclusion makes us excel
Umicore values an inclusive work culture and gives equal opportunities to all employees irrespective of their unique background. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability. Candidates are uniquely selected based on competences.
So, can you already IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO as Junior/Associate Data Scientist and do you want to develop your talents further with us?