Principal Scientist in Pyrometallurgy
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Developing processes and providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
Our society is driven by new technologies that need an ever growing amount of metals, to be supplied by both primary and secondary sources. We are looking for a Principle Scientist in Pyrometallurgy to provide innovative solutions to the extraction and recycling of those metals of the future.
What you will be doing
- You develop and maintain the pyrometallurgical competence within Umicore R&D.
- You contribute to high-impact and complex research projects in different programs, based on broad and deep pyrometallurgical knowledge and expertise.
- You innovate and generate ideas for new processes, technologies and methodologies.
- You grow an internal and external network of RTOs, technology provides, supplies, competitors and peers.
- You contribute to the IP strategy in collaboration with Business Unit
- You contribute to the innovation and knowledge management of the pyrometallurgy competence and enable the identification of upcoming needs and opportunities of your stakeholders.
- You have a PhD in Science or Engineering or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have more than 15 years of research experience in Pyrometallurgy
- You are a team player, eager to share information and skilled in networking.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific and technological challenges.
- You stimulate your own and others’ creativity and innovation.
- You are decisive and able to give firm advice and steer the teams involved in your field of expertise.
- You have strong analytical skills combined with a developed sense of criticism.
- You are fluent in English both written and orally. Dutch is your mother tongue or you are prepared to master it rapidly.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?