Junior Customs Compliance Manager
Belgium - Hoboken
Purchasing and Transportation
Strategy, Intellectual Assets/Property
Gepubliceerd op 01-06-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
What you will be doing
In the next years Umicore will achieve a significant growth (especially in the field of battery materials and battery recycling), which will result in an increasing complexity of processes, organization and trade flows. Combined with regulations becoming ever more strict and a very uncertain global economic outlook (e.g. trade wars), it will be of crucial importance to have a clear oversight, standardization and uniformity, and to ensure compliance at all levels. This will give Umicore a considerable competitive advantage.
The Junior Customs Compliance Manager should bring and further develop expertise into the Umicore Group and needs to support the Global Customs Compliance Manager bringing corporate oversight.
Furthermore the Junior Customs Compliance Manager should contribute to effective and competitive supply chains for Umicore by assisting the Global Customs Compliance Manager to:
- avoid risks and costs for Umicore as a result of non-compliance
- avoid supply chain interruptions due to non-compliance or accidents
- achieve import duty savings by setting up duty deviation schemes
Your contribution within this team:
In Customs compliance, your main responsibilities will be as listed here below:
- You support the customs departments of Umicore NV, Umicore Specialty Materials Brugge and Todini BV.
- You contribute to making sure that processes are maintained to set the correct product classification, (non-)preferential origin, valuation and customs procedure, hence ensuring the correctness of the operational customs clearance and import VAT.
- You ensure the correctness of reporting for special procedures (such as inward/outward processing relief and bonded warehouse)
- You facilitate in obtaining the needed permits (such as AEO certification, approved exporter, inward/outward processor, bonded warehouse…)
- You ensure customs compliance by assisting with customs audits and follow-up on recommendations from audits.
- You participate in concluding agreements with customs brokers and controlling the good execution of SOP. Regularly report to the Global Customs Compliance Manager on customs operations and projects.
- .Work closely together with the Global Customs Compliance Manager on various customs projects which have an (inter)national focus.
- You work closely together with the Global process owner customs (GPO), other customs managers worldwide and other departments You assist in providing training to the Umicore Trade Compliance, Logistic and Commercial communities.
In Customs advisory, you will also be in charge of different responsibilities:
- You serve as an internal trusted advisor, providing compliance counsel and risk education to the Umicore Business Units.
- You keep up-to-date with detailed changes in customs regulations in the EU, and high level in other regions such as US and China. Monitor the implementation of international free trade agreements and assess the impact they may have on Umicore business
- You develop and maintain a good understanding of business flows and identify possibilities for duty deviation schemes such as duty suspension, inward processing, Free Trade Agreements.
Who we are looking for
- You combine a higher degree with experience in a related position;
- You have a profound knowledge of the EU Customs regulations and procedures;
- You have a background or strong interest in chemistry/product classification;
- Your are fluent in Dutch and English (any additional language is an asset)
- You have an excellent command in Microsoft office skills (PowerPoint Exel, …)
- You are a good communicator, with strong interpersonal skills, be able to work independently and in team
- You have strong project management and analytical skills
- You are pro-active, pragmatic and customer oriented
- You have a strong focus on continuous improvement and commitment to achieve results
- You are disciplined and ethical mindset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits.