Process Development Engineer
Product Management, Process & Product Development, Engineering
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
Purpose of the function
The business line Substrates is continuously evaluating, improving and re-thinking its production processes and equipment to stay ahead of competition thanks to its best-in-class production platform. Within this context, the function holder will support the introduction of new processes and the optimisation of the existing ones in close collaboration with production and customers. The ultimate goal is to deliver more pristine Ge substrates to our customers that enable the development of ever more performant space solar cells.
- You interact with production and your peers on possible process changes or on new to be installed equipment. You scientific understanding of the process is your key to success.
- Together with the team, you manage well defined projects
- to test and realise the agreed process changes or
- to procure and test new equipment.
- Your main focus is on working out the technical aspects of the project.
- You ensure the process changes are challenged, well documented and translated in clear work instructions for production.
- You build up specific expertise and research techniques and share this with your colleagues:
- You identify and analyse opportunities to optimise or improve processes and products of the BL by applying mainly scientific and technical metrics.
- You work out ideas and set up the necessary tests either in house, or with a carefully selected partner, in order to verify the validity.
- You broaden your expertise and process and product knowledge by attending seminars & congresses, by visiting suppliers and customers and by cooperating with colleagues within Umicore.
- You hold a master degree or PhD in physics, Materials Engineering, Engineering Physics, or Engineer in nano-electronics
- A first working experience in project management, research or process & product development is a plus.
- You have in-depth knowledge in materials science and/or of semi-conductor physics.
- You are fluent in English and Dutch.
- You display the ability to conduct and evaluate research.
- You demonstrate leadership
- You show decisiveness and have solid analytical and problem solving skills.
- You are both creative and focussed on results.
- You are a team player with good communication and motivational skills.