Manager Analytical Laboratory
Precious Metals Refining
EHS/Quality, Research & Development
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
You manage an analytical lab section and develop analytical research work to optimize quality, costs and throughput times. You represent the lab in external contacts related to your competence field.
- You manage the daily operations in your lab section
- You promote and coach the co-workers
- You coordinate the analytical research programs, implement operational improvements and launch new investment requests
- You play an active and leading role in the communication process of your section and promote teamwork
- You deploy the EHS standards and action plans within your team
- You contribute to the budget preparation, and follow up of the real costs versus budget
- You advise internal customers about analytical topics, initiate cost reduction proposals.
- You maintain contacts with all your customers
- You assure a constant high quality level of assaying
- You control the validation of the process in the lab section
- You have a PhD degree in Chemistry or equivalent.
- Relevant working experience in an operational environment is an asset
- You have a solid chemical analytical expertise and you are familiar with quality assurance principles and statistics
- You are fluent in English, Dutch and French
- You have solid leadership and communication skills, you are a team player and people manager and also committed to results
- You are a strong problem solver, have an analytical mindset and are creative in developing new methods and procedures