Senior Project Manager Next Generation Cathode
Belgium - Olen
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 25-01-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Senior Project Manager Next Generation Cathode Battery Materials you translate Business needs into a research project and innovation targets based on deep understanding of relevant process, technology and business model and you contribute to the definition of the strategy and the development of the roadmap of the project.
You define, coordinate and follow-up the execution of this consistent and prioritized complex, multi-disciplinary, multi-platform R&D project based on individual projects within the agreed priorities, scope and budget and you provide technological foresight for the relevant project, proposing actions to the Steering Committee to guarantee long-term business development. You increase the speed of innovation for the Business Unit by defining and managing within the agreed scope, budget and timing the R&D project at CRD, in line with your business’ strategic goals and priorities. You contribute to the project strategy definition in collaboration with the Business Unit, including the IP and funding strategies. You organize and provide technological foresight for the relevant project and proposes actions to the Steering Committee to guarantee long-term business development (Horizon 2 to 3).
You focus on achieving the strategic targets and priorities of the Business Units across the borders of the CRD platforms; and ensures proper IP management practices in the projects.
You coach a team of Project Leaders to guarantee project and project excellence, providing the right priorities and competences at the right places. Typically, a relevant project portfolio should entail a total budget of more than 2 million Euro.
Who we are looking for
- You have a PhD in Sciences or Engineering, or equivalent through relevant research experience
- Proven experience (7+ years) as R&D Project/Program Manager in an industrial environment is a must
- Good level of experience with non-hierarchical and hierarchical mentoring and leadership of managers
- Experience in an operational function outside of R&D is an asset
- Broad knowledge of competencies within CRD to offer at all times the most appropriate support in speeding up innovation at customers side
- Understanding of project finance and project portfolio management
- Deep understanding or IP mechanics, funding, R&D contracting and confidentiality matters
- Good and validated internal & external networking skills and intuition for business
- Customer intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the programs
- Strong planning and organization skills with strong target orientation
- Solid oral and written reporting skills
- You are fluent in English and willingness to learn Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO