Associate Scientist Carbon Capture Technology
Belgium - Olen
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 09-12-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Associate Scientist Carbon Capture Technology in Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to decarbonization of Umicore through internal and external R&D efforts! Within a cross-functional team, you will generate knowledge and expertise by performing powerful desktop calculations, lab or pilot experiments and assisting in industrial experiments in our Hoboken plant. You acquire these insights by completing research projects together with a team and you ensure the continual development of appropriate methods.
Your Detailed Responsibilities:
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in the field of carbon capture in collaboration with various internal teams, external partners, and other Business Units.
- You provide scientific support in the upscaling trajectory from pilot to industrial scale and ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise in existing and future flow sheets.
- You identify and develop new insights for IP generation.
- You lead research projects to develop carbon capture processes ensuring effective execution, taking ownership for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and build new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You effectively connect with all members of the team, external researchers and Business Unit(s).
- You assess and improve the quality system, the safety policies and environmental & health processes and procedures.
Who we are looking for
- You have acquired a Master or PhD in Science or Engineering or equivalent through relevant research experience. A background in carbon capture technology is a clear asset.
- You are interested in applied industrial research.
- You have a detailed and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting.
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people.
- You are a great teammate and customer minded.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to occasionally travel abroad.
- Proficient in English, both written and orally. Willingness to learn Dutch.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?