Project Manager Solid-State Batteries
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Corporate Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development implies that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
Purpose of the job
As a Project Manager in Corporate R&D, you will contribute to developing and evaluating new materials and technologies for rechargeable batteries. Specifically, you will execute, organize, and follow-up multiple internal and external projects within the framework of a research program, to study and evaluate new developments in the field of solid-state batteries. Within a cross-functional team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to assess the potential of solid-state batteries and define synergies with Umicore’s product portfolio.
You will report into the Senior Program Manager Batteries and will be located in Olen – Belgium.
- You execute, organize and follow-up defined research projects within the research program for the development and assessment of new materials, characterization techniques and integration methods for solid-state batteries
- You cooperate with external laboratories, companies and other Business Units including the communication with internal and external laboratories and companies
- You contribute to the definition of the project strategy and you are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects
- You generate cross-team interaction by aligning with project managers at CRD and project team members at BU or CTO as well as through regular reporting
- You lead the communication process towards your different stakeholders related to your research projects. You coordinate the project evolution and the according reporting and administration
- You build up deep understanding in material, integration, manufacturing, and evaluation aspects of solid-state batteries and provide technological foresight. You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain
- You participate in funding files with partners
- You identify and generate new ideas for IP generation and contribute to the IP strategy for the assigned projects
- You functionally manage (1-5) reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures
- You have a PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You have a deep knowledge on battery materials, synthesis, interfaces and electrochemical characterization. Having expertise in the field of solid-state batteries is a clear asset
- You have a comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You are fluent in English, both written and orally and willingness to learn Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people without any problem
- You have functional leadership skills to guide the project team towards successful execution of the project
- You are a team player and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to accomplish missions abroad
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?