Manager Sustainable Value Chain
Environment Health and Safety
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About our corporate/support function
A global organisation. It’s not just those in our industrial sites and technical centres that are vital to Umicore’s growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve – whether it’s by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we’ve already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
In the context of Umicore’s ambition to turn sustainability into a greater competitive edge, you will help develop and implement Umicore’s strategy for sustainable business conduct and lead the implementation of projects with strategic importance, both for the Umicore Group and in particular with a focus on the battery value chain. For the Umicore Group you will lead projects linked with the sustainability objectives and will further help positioning Umicore as a sustainability leader. Specifically for the battery materials business you will lead projects related to carbon, responsible sourcing and closing the loop which are considered key differentiators.
- On the domain of Responsible sourcing:
- securing the competence development and keep it aligned with expectations of external stakeholders and legislative developments;
- coordinating and ensuring the execution of Umicore’s strategic objectives in responsible sourcing;
- ensuring the effectiveness of and supervising the battery materials supply chain due diligence program.
- On the domain of Carbon footprint :
- supporting the implementation of Umicore’s strategy on net zero emissions.
- Giving an early warning for new challenges and risks in the area of carbon footprint and advise, implement and maintain management systems to meet legal and Umicore requirements.
- Supporting the Life Cycle Analysis exercises, specifically for the battery materials business, in close interaction with the Senior Manager Life Cycle Analysis and Product Sustainability, and ensure that customers obtain the data necessary to calculate the carbon footprint impact of their products.
- On the domain of Circular economy:
- Developing Umicore’s long-term policy that sustains closing the loop for battery materials.
- Coordinating external projects related to supply chain sustainability and the implementation of circular economy.
- You will keep abreast of new legislation and best practices in Sustainability. You will also raise awareness at all levels of the organisation of key Sustainability matters and the impact of emerging issues whether legislative or best practice. You will be the main interface with sustainability departments of selected suppliers, customers and OEMS in the battery materials business. You will represent and motivate Umicore’s sustainability approach in close collaboration with the involved supply, sales & marketing team. You will grow knowledge and expertise in the internal/external networks.
Who we are looking for
- You hold a Masters degree in Science or Engineering.
- You have a minimum of 5 years experience in a relevant domain linked to sustainability (in supply, operations or products). In those domains, you are a strong strategic thinker.
- You have a proven track record in sustainability area and good knowledge/understanding of responsible sourcing practices. Having a good understanding of the battery market, industry and products/processes is certainly an asset.
- You have proven network and strong social skills.
- You can work autonomous, you have a good sense of prioritization of assigned goals and manage time/risks accordingly in collaboration with your network and your teams.
- You are an excellent communicator with good oral and written presentation skills. Fluency in both oral and written English is a must.
- You have a thorough knowledge of MS office products.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?