Lab Specialist Liquid Chromatography
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- You work on the chemical analysis of new functional materials in the field of catalysis, battery materials and recycling.
- You execute analysis and research tasks such as sample preparation, instrumental analysis and data evaluation; focused on Liquid Chromatography (principally anion-chromatography).
- You evaluate the obtained results; in case of deviations you take action to find and introduce an appropriate solution.
- You write reports with an adequate description of the results, you communicate the results to your colleagues and the project team.
- You collaborate with other teams (colleagues in the analytical lab and R&D partners). You collaborate with all levels for cross-functional projects.
- You build and share technical competences on Liquid Chromatography and its data evaluation.
- You install and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient workplace standards.
- You take care of assigned equipment, perform and/or organize maintenance, you report technical issues and initiate solutions.
- You focus on and thrive for continuous improvement within your department.
Who we are looking for
- Master/Ph.D. Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bio-engineering and Pharmaceutical sciences.
- You have good knowledge of functional materials and the common analytical techniques, preferably in the field of battery materials.
- You have hands-on experience with separation techniques (e.g. extractions) and comprehensive chromatographic techniques for analysis of liquids (largely inorganic aqueous solutions).
- Experience with hyphenation to detectors and related speciation techniques for cation-analysis is a plus.
- Additional skills on other chromatographic techniques, particularly gas chromatography, are highly valued.
- You have a good affinity for data evaluation, statistics and method validation.
- You have a good scientific curiosity and are creative to deal with complex analytical challenges.
- You have solid organization and reporting skills.
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English, willingness to learn Dutch is a plus.
- You work in a structured and accurate way.
- You can work independently.
- You like to work in a team.
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO