Junior/Associate Scientist Process Simulation
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development, Information Technology
Posted on 18-01-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
In the exciting position as a Junior/Associate Scientist Process Simulation you bring your enthusiasm and engineering background to address challenges that arise in our R&D and production facilities, primarily to support the expansion of our battery materials business. As part of the Computational Science team, you get the opportunity to contribute to a number of process development projects. You work closely together with other simulation experts and the engineering teams on site to analyse bottlenecks and address inefficiencies by applying computational fluid dynamics (CFD), manual calculations or anything in between. You develop solid understanding of processes, technology and business challenges and provide firm advice to the project team. You will furthermore keep up-to-date with the evolution of process modelling in an industrial context.
As a Junior/Associate Scientist Process Simulation, you will…
- perform advanced CFD analyses of industrial furnaces and reactors ranging from heat and mass transfer problems to chemical reactions and multiphase interactions
- take ownership and responsibility of simulation projects after training
- align project contributions with the team and interface with involved technology/engineering departments
- generate ideas and communicate your project outcome in a clear, precise manner
- be involved in the IP strategy for the assigned projects
- grow your own and the team’s knowledge in process modelling
We are looking for a colleague who…
- holds a degree in engineering sciences (PhD preferred)
- has a genuine interest in computational fluid dynamics and process technology (initial experience with common CFD programs like ANSYS Fluent or OpenFoam is desirable)
- translates technical challenges into models, solves problems and formulates recommendations
- is a good networker with an eye for customer centricity
- has good oral and written English communication skills. Dutch, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese capabilities are an asset
What will you get in return?
- A healthy company where we strive to build a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed by mutually sharing ideas and developing expertise every day
- An environment where continuous feedback is encouraged as well as a wide range of trainings are offered to ensure your growth
- A competitive salary and additional benefits (hospitality insurance, pension, meal vouchers, company car)
- A flexible work environment in which there’s room for home working
- The option to join different wellbeing initiatives (e.g. sport activities, health programs, mental wellbeing)
Diversity & inclusion makes us excel
Umicore values an inclusive work culture and gives equal opportunities to all employees irrespective of their unique background. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability. Candidates are uniquely selected based on competences.
So, can you already IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO as Junior/Associate Scientist Process Simulation and do you want to develop your talents further with us? Then don’t miss out on this opportunity and apply still today.