Manager Analytical Laboratory
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
You manage an analytical lab section with focus on material characterization and failure analysis and develop analytical research work to optimize quality, costs and throughput times. You represent the lab in external contacts related to your competence field:
- You have a good knowledge of material characterization and the techniques (e.g. SEM/FEG-SEM combined with EDX, microprobe, XRD)
- You advise internal customers about analytical topics, and combine your knowledge of material characterization with the requests of the customers
- You coordinate the analytical research programs, give input on technical solutions of analytical requests, implement operational improvements and launch new investment requests
- You look for and implement external collaboration opportunities for more complex analytical techniques
- You manage the daily operations in your lab section, and promote and coach the co-workers
- You play an active and leading role in the communication process of your section and promote teamwork
- You assure a constant high-quality level of assaying
- You deploy the EHS standards and action plans within your team
- You have an academic degree in Materials Science, a PhD in Geology or in Chemistry
- Experience in the field of material characterization and/or failure analysis of inorganic and/or metallurgical materials is a must (e.g. SEM/FEG-SEM combined with EDX, microprobe, XRD)
- You have a solid chemical analytical expertise and you are familiar with quality assurance principles and statistics
- You are fluent in English and Dutch
- You have solid leadership and communication skills, you are a team player and people manager and you are also committed to results
- You are a strong problem solver, have an analytical mindset and are creative in developing new methods and procedures
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?