Chemist Battery Material Testing
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
As a researcher at Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to the development and evaluation of new materials and technologies in the field of batteries through internal R&D efforts.
Within a cross-functional and dynamic team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to assess the potential of different battery materials and technologies e.g. solid-state, silicon anodes, Li metal anode or advanced cathode active materials. You will be directly involved with materials evaluation, analysis of the result and reporting within a project team. In addition, together with the competence team, you will be involved in development of new methods and improve existing one for battery materials application testing and electrochemical materials characterization. These activities may include electrodes formulation, fabrication and processing, cell assemblies, testing, data analysis, conductivity measurements, electrochemical window, impedance spectroscopy and analytical electrochemistry tests.
What you will be doing
- You are responsible for planning, overseeing and execution of test cell assembly (including preparation of subcomponents e.g. electrode formulation and preparation), battery experiments and research tasks
- You contribute in creation of new competences on new or existing processes. You stay up to date on the current and upcoming electrochemical characterization methods
- You perform electrochemical characterization and application testing of battery materials (active materials, electrolytes, current collectors…)
- You gather analytical and battery testing data on the synthesized battery materials, present and interpret results in meaningful way, and communicate the results to the project team
- You install and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient workplace standards
- You participate in hazards evaluation to establish safety, health and environmental procedures and controls
- You collaborate within the team and with other teams in order to complete the work. You collaborate with all levels on cross-functional projects
- You provide functional guidance to different team members
- You travel to suppliers and R&D contacts
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master or bachelor’s degree in chemistry, materials engineering, chemical engineering, or related fields
- Good knowledge and skills in electrochemistry: batteries, characterization, battery testing is a big plus
- You have good written and verbal skills and ability to clearly explain technical decisions based on the data and results
- You’re capable to execute experimental plans and execute in disciplined fashion to meet objectives within the timeline
- You have solid organization and analytical skills for data management, analysis and results presentation
- Familiarity with range of characterization techniques (XRD, BET, PSD, TGA, DSC, SEM) and python programming is a big plus
- You are strong in multitasking and planning
- Good oral and written knowledge of English is required, knowledge of Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, French is a plus.
- You like to work within a team and like to take up a guiding/training role
- You work in an ordered and accurate way
- You are creative and think broadly, you are able to draw quick conclusions based on observations. Likes to solve issues
- You can perform experiments independently
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO