Visiting Scientist Solid-State Batteries
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 12-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Corporate Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development implies that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a Visiting Scientist in Corporate R&D, you will lead the development of Solid State battery system and evaluation of battery components in collaboration with an external partner in order to execute one or several projects, typically within the framework of a research program for a business unit or the R&D organization.
Within a cross-functional and dynamic team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to assess the potential of different battery materials and technologies including solid-state, silicon, Li metal, and advanced cathode active materials. Your key responsibility will be to lead R&D in the field of solid-state batteries design and processing. You will develop new designs, processing and characterization methods or improve existing one for battery materials testing. This includes electrodes fabrication and processing, cell assemblies, testing, data analysis and management. You will also do research to find synergies between the different cell components and innovate on battery design. You acquire these insights by executing research project in collaboration with external partner.
You will be located in Olen (BE).
Your Responsibilities :
- You contribute to the definition of the project strategy and technical scope and execute most the experimental tasks related to this project
- You execute research project, apply and build up knowledge and expertise in the field of solid state batteries and electrochemistry in cooperation with internal teams and external laboratories.
- You collaborate with external partner, which involves 50% of time spent at partners facility contributing in execution/planning of project
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal capabilities around solid state batteries and materials application testing through the development of new methods and approaches, and close interaction with various teams.
- You align with project managers at CRD.
- You are hands-on in the battery testing by executing research projects independently and together with the team.
- You create understanding and insight in solid state battery designs and their effect on material performance.
- You identify and develop new ideas for IP generation.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You effectively communicate with all members of the team and external researchers.
- You assess and improve the quality system, the safety policies and environmental & health processes and procedures.
- You functionally manage (1-5) reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures.
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained a PhD in materials science, or equivalent by experience
- You are interested in application driven research
- You have a deep knowledge on solid state batteries design, testing including slurry processing, electrode fabrication, cell assembly (pouch cell preferably), cell testing, data management, battery materials
- Experience with at least two of the following is required: Battery assembly, battery testing, solid state electrolytes, advanced cathodes, Lithium metal anodes
- Being strong in physical and chemical characterization of materials is an asset
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people
- You are a team player and customer minded
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel abroad 50% of your time
- Fluent in English, both written and orally. Dutch, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese capabilities are asset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can enhance our battery technology, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO