Project Manager Hydrometallurgy
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 13-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a Project Manager Hydrometallurgy in Corporate R&D, you will contribute to developing and evaluating new hydrometallurgical processes for the refining of raw materials and the recycling of end-of-life materials. Specifically, you will complete, coordinate, and follow-up multiple internal and external projects within the framework of a research program. Within a cross-functional team, you will generate knowledge and expertise to support Umicore’s growth in the area of recycling.
- You complete, organize and follow-up defined research projects within the research program for the development of new refining flowsheets
- You contribute to the definition of the project strategy and you are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects
- You generate cross-team interaction by aligning with project managers at Corporate R&D and project team members of the business unit as well as through regular reporting
- You lead the communication process towards your different partners related to your research projects. You coordinate the project evolution and the according reporting and administration
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in the field of hydrometallurgy. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain
- You participate in funding files with partners
- You identify and generate new insights for IP generation and contribute to the IP strategy for the assigned projects
- You functionally manage (1-5) reports as well as implement and control CRD safety rules and quality procedures
Who we are looking for
- You have a PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry…) or equivalent through relevant research experience
- You are driven by scientific and technological challenges
- You have a comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments
- You have functional leadership skills to guide the project team towards successful execution of the project
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people without any problem
- You are a great teammate and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
- You have good networking and communication skills, you are able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, you are able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise
- You are fluent in English, both written and orally and you are willing to learn Dutch.
- You are prepared to accomplish short missions abroad
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO