Head of Environment & Energy Site Olen
Corporate Research & Development
Posted on 07-07-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About our Support Functions
A global organization. It’s not just those in our industrial sites and technical centers that are vital to Umicore’s growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve – whether it’s by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we’ve already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You will be leading the teams of Environment & Energy of site Olen and you report to the Director site Olen.
You are responsible for fulfilling the legal tasks of the ‘Environmental coordinator’ as described in Flemish environmental legislation to optimize the environmental impact of the site.
Furthermore you will lead the implementation of Umicore Group Environmental policies and objectives on the site of Olen.
Your detailed responsibilities:
- You lead and assure an efficient organization of the Environmental team (emission control and waste management, waste water treatment plant) and the operational Energy department striving for operational excellence in all related fields: costs, EHS, people management and satisfaction. You lead these departments and settle the department vision for achieving the department objectives
- You co-define with Corporate EHS the roll-out plan for the ESG objectives in site Olen in the field of Environment
- You fulfil the legal task of ‘Environmental Coordinator (Milieucoördinator)’ for site Olen as defined in Flemish environmental law and you are the prime contact to internal and external collaborators (authorities in Olen town, province, …)
- You advise the management teams of the business units present on the Olen site on actions to be taken to remain compliant and minimize their environmental footprint
- You are responsible for all the permits needed to operate and for the follow-up of the legislation on environment, radioprotection, building permits, etc.
- You are project owner for the of soil & groundwater remediation projects in which you manage the execution of all vital projects and communication with proficient authorities
- You implement the projects in the field of Energy in line with the roll-out plan for the ESG objectives as defined by the Energy coordinator for site Olen
- You manage a team of about 30 employees
Who we are looking for
- You acquired a Master or PhD in Science or Engineering
- Possessing a Certificate of Environmental Coordinator (Type A) or you are willing to realize that qualification soon
- You have a sound knowledge and understanding of environmental legislation and techniques (waste water treatment – air cleaning – soil remediation etc)
- You have experience with energy (electricity, steam, pressured air) or prepared to acquire that knowledge on short term
- You have sound experience as hierarchical team lead
- You are proficient in Dutch & English
- Good communicator (written and spoken), with excellent presentation skills
- You relate well with personnel at all levels in the company
- You are a great teammate, with a positive and constructive demeanor
- You are stress resistant
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO