Chemist Battery Materials Testing
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 09-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Battery Research within the Corporate R&D Department
As a researcher at Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to the development and evaluation of new materials and technologies in the field of batteries through internal R&D efforts.
Within a cross-functional and dynamic team, you will generate knowledge and expertise in battery materials synthesis and its modification (e.g. coatings), for solid-state batteries and/or advanced cathode active materials. You will be directly involved with materials synthesis, physical and chemical characterization, analysis of the result and reporting within a project team. In addition, together with the competence team, you will be involved in development of new methods and improve existing one for battery materials synthesis. These activities may include wet (precipitation, colloidal, hydrothermal, solvothermal…) and dry (fusion, mechanical, thermal, vapor based…) synthesis routes work with glovebox, advanced coating techniques, analysis of physical and chemical characterization results (XRD, ICP, SEM, TGA/DSC, TEM, BET, PSD…).
What you will be doing
- You are responsible for planning, overseeing and execution of test cell assembly (including preparation of subcomponents e.g. electrode formulation and preparation), battery experiments and research tasks
- You contribute in creation of new competences on new or existing processes. You stay up to date on the current and upcoming synthesis methods
- You perform electrochemical characterization and application testing of battery materials (active materials, electrolytes, current collectors…)
- You gather analytical and battery testing data on the synthesized battery materials, present and interpret results in meaningful way, and communicate the results to the project team
- You install and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient workplace standards
- You participate in hazards evaluation to establish safety, health and environmental procedures and controls
- You collaborate within the team and with other teams in order to complete the work. You collaborate with all levels on cross-functional projects
- You provide functional guidance to different team members
- You travel to suppliers and R&D contacts
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master or bachelor’s degree in materials science, materials engineering, chemical engineering, or related fields
- You have good knowledge and skills in electrochemistry : batteries, characterization, battery testing is a big plus
- You have good written and verbal skills and ability to clearly explain technical decisions based on the data and results
- You’re capable to execute experimental plans and execute in disciplined fashion to meet objectives within the timeline
- You have solid organization and analytical skills for data management, analysis and results presentation
- You are strong in multitasking and planning
- You are familiar with range of characterization techniques (XRD, BET, PSD, TGA, DSC, SEM) and python programming - a big plus
- Good oral and written knowledge of English is required, knowledge of Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, French is a plus.
- You like to work within a team and like to take up a guiding/training role
- You work in an ordered and accurate way
- You are creative and think broadly, you are able to draw quick conclusions based on observations. Likes to solve issues
- You can perform experiments independently
What we offer
We lead the way. Not just for our customers, but also for our employees. We foster a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture where we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. We reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. That’s what we do. Imagine what you could do?
If my expertise can help improve battery performance, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?