Associate Scientist battery materials synthesis
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 12-08-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As associate scientist battery materials synthesis in the Functional materials Battery group of Corporate Research & Development (CRD), you will develop and optimize new materials for rechargeable batteries, mostly (but not only) through inorganic aqueous chemistry (precipitation).
You will be located in Olen (BE).
Your detailed Responsibilities:
- You execute research projects in the field of rechargeable battery materials, applying your knowledge and expertise, and you align with project managers and scientists at CRD and project team members in the business unit.
- You build up materials understanding and cooperate with external laboratories, companies and business units.
- You create view on IP landscape and you manage IP issues of your projects in cooperation with Umicore patent department.
- You are responsible for the results, timing and budget of your projects.
- You implement and improve the safety policies and quality system.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in your competence field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You are responsible for the training, development and coaching of your team members to improve your and their competences (managers, white and blue collars).
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You build up an international network in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained a PhD in Chemistry or materials science or equivalent through relevant research experience and advanced knowledge of inorganic aqueous chemistry. Experience with inorganic synthesis in organic media is an asset
- You have experience in the development of battery materials (synthesis, characterization)
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues
- You are strong in summarizing, systematic and methodological in approach
- You are fluent in English and willing to learn Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset
- You are result-oriented, creative and motivated; you are successful in motivating and convincing other people
- You have functional leadership skills to guide the project team towards successful execution of the project
- You are a team player and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others
- You are prepared to travel abroad
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO