Senior Scientist for anode materials
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
The role of this Senior Scientist Anode Materials is to support the Anode program managers from a scientific view, bringing an overview vision of battery development and anode material requirements, progress,… Collecting information from scientific community as well as customer and marketing team will be important to support the Umicore Anode program.
A good understanding of the program, the Umicore visions and roadmap will be a necessity to ensure and being responsible of technical communications from CTO level to project scientists.
The Anode Senior Scientist develops knowledge and competence related to battery topics and more specifically to anode material. He is bringing scientific knowledge on battery and monitor progress of the area with a strong focused on material.
The goal of this position is to support the anode program . In close contact with the anode program manager and the different scientists on the topics, the anode senior scientist will be responsible of:
- The strategy decision of the program and definition of the different roadmaps
- Support ideation and stimulate innovative approaches for material design as well as testing capacities :
- by broadening scientific understanding through experimentation and modelling
- through dissemination of relevant information, insights and foresights
- by coaching and training CRD staff involved in the battery field
- by stimulating the creation of IP portfolio and participate to IP strategic decision
- Support technical discussion with customers and partners.
- Support definition of confidentiality barriers.
You will be located in Olen (BE) and report to the Program Director Batteries CRD.
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained your PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience. You have 5- 10 years working experience within the domains of research and project management in rechargeable battery technology.
- You are a recognized expert in battery competence. Knowledge of electrochemistry and material is a must.
- Having specific experience on anode and silicon base material is an asset.
- You have good knowledge of up to date technical progress and market progress on battery technology.
- You have solid experience with protection of intellectual property.
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting also to senior management.
- Fluent in English and (willing to learn) Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific curiosity.
- You are a team player in own and with other teams and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project. Experience in managing global research projects with significant financial value and complicated structure. You are able to utilize resources effectively on global scale.
- You are an analytical thinker, problem-solver and strong driver for innovation and change.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relationships inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to travel abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO