Senior Scientist for advanced cathode materials
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a Senior Scientist for the advanced Cathode Materials you will define, execute and manage the long term (5-10 year) product and process research and development work on rechargeable battery materials. With a cross-functional team, you will be ccountable for the knowledge generation and knowledge condensation through an in-depth understanding of the relationships between process, product characteristics and the performance of current and future product in the applications.
You will be located in Olen (BE) and report to the Program Director Batteries CRD.
Your detailed Responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for Competence development and team management:
- Definition of the strategic direction of the competences needed to be successful in horizon 2 and horizon 3 rechargeable battery materials technology. Redefine the competences as required by the environment (internal/external) e.g. market requirements for early adaptors, start-ups, networking,…
- Build and manage a team of highly skilled employees that have, can further develop or can acquire the identified competences through internal or external collaborations
- Active definition of public funded research project
- You will be responsible for Project management:
- Definition, coordination and timely execution of a portfolio of horizon 2 and horizon 3 projects
- Reporting the overall project status and next steps towards management
- Set-up and oversee the external research efforts
- Define and manage the application of current IT to R&D challenges (data mining, ‘big’ data)
- You will lead the tIP management:
- Lead the translation of the knowledge generated within the CTO organization into a strong IP portfolio
- Develop and structure the horizon 2 and horizon 3 patent portfolio.You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in electrochemical characterization of materials and interfaces in cooperation with various internal teams, external laboratories, and other Business Units
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained your PhD in Sciences or Engineering (Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Materials science) or equivalent through relevant research experience. You have 5- 10 years working experience within the domains of research and project management in rechargeable battery technology.
- You have a deep knowledge on materials, their synthesis and their characterization (XRD, microscopy, spectroscopy…). Having expertise in the field of metal oxide chemistry is a must.
- You have solid experience with protection of intellectual property as well as in the efficient application of current IT to R&D challenges (data mining, ‘big’ data).
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting also to senior management.
- Fluent in English and (willing to learn) Dutch. French, German, Korean or Chinese are a clear asset.
- You are result-oriented, creative and driven by scientific curiosity.
- You are a team player in own and with other teams and customer minded with intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project. Experience in managing global research projects with significant financial value and complicated structure. You are able to utilize resources effectively on global scale.
- You are an analytical thinker, problem-solver and strong driver for innovation and change.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relationships inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to travel abroad.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my pioneering research can drive our progress in clean mobility, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO