Scientist in Applied Thermodynamic Modelling & Process Simulation
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 15-09-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As a Scientist in Corporate Research and Development at Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to the development of new or improvement of existing recycling processes through internal and external R&D efforts! Within a cross-functional team, we will generate knowledge and expertise by performing innovative process and flowsheet simulations, combining thermodynamic modelling with internal insights on existing or new recycling processes or flow sheets.
You acquire these insights by completing research projects together within a team and you ensure the continual development of appropriate methods, by internal knowledge management or performing external research with academic institutes. You develop proven understanding of processes, technology and business challenges and provide firm advice to the project team. You furthermore keep up-to-date with the evolution of thermodynamic process modelling in an industrial context.
Your detailed responsibilities :
- You continue to develop your own as well as Umicore’s expertise in the field of thermodynamic process modeling. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain. You do so in collaboration with various internal teams, external laboratories, and other Business Units.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise through the development of new methods and approaches, and close interaction with various research programs.
- You identify and develop new insights for IP generation.
- You lead parts of research projects to develop new or improve existing recycling processes ensuring effective execution, taking ownership for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to the development of new or existing recycling processes by fueling the power of thermodynamic models for process and flowsheet simulations.
- You actively participate in cross-team events to facilitate the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues within Umicore R&D and the Business Units.
Who we are looking for
- You have acquired a PhD in Sciences or Engineering, preferably in Extractive Metallurgy, or equivalent by experience
- You have a genuine interest thermodynamic solution modeling, process and flowsheet simulations and general smelting technologies (initial experience with common programs like FactSage, ChemApp or sysCAD is desirable)
- You translate technical challenges into models, tackle problems and formulate recommendations
- You are interested in applied industrial research
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
- You are a real standout colleague and team mate
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- Proficient in English, both written and orally. Willingness to learn Dutch
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?