Lab Technician Material Characterization
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Posted on 13-09-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- You work on the characterization of new functional materials in the field of catalysis, batteries, and recycling.
- You execute analysis and research tasks such as sample preparation, material characterization, data evaluation and reporting.
- You evaluate the obtained results; in case of deviations you take action to find and introduce an appropriate solution.
- You install and maintain operating procedures to ensure safe and efficient workplace standards.
- You prepare and maintain analytical/statistical validation files of the assigned analytical methods.
- You take care of assigned equipment, perform and/or organize maintenance, you report technical issues and initiate solutions.
- You collaborate with other teams (colleagues in the analytical lab and R&D partners). You collaborate with all levels for cross-functional projects.
- You focus on and thrive for continuous improvement within your department.
Who we are looking for
- You have a Bachelor/Master in Chemistry, Geology, Materials Science or Engineering
- You have interest in functional materials and/or the common analytical techniques used for the characterization of solid/powder materials is a plus
- You have a good scientific curiosity and are creativity to deal with complex analytical challenges
- You have solid organization and reporting skills
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English, willingness to learn Dutch is a plus.
- You work in a structured and accurate way
- You can work independently
- You like to work in a team
- You are familiar with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues
- We offer both permanent and temporary Umicore contracts
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?