Head of Technology Department
Precious Metals Refining
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Precious Metals Refining
The world’s resources are scarce. Umicore’s refining and recycling technology gives used metals a new lease of life. We are experts in treating the most complex materials from around the world. Our processes help bring value to the circular economy and reduce environmental impacts. To recover more metal from different types of material we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new processes. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As Head of Technology Department you will, in full compliance with UPMR’s mission, vision and strategy and together with your team, manage the investment project portfolio in line with the agreed upon scope, quality, planning and budget of the projects. You will also be responsible for the organisation of the annual maintenance shutdowns of the different operational departments. You will continuously drive focus on the improvement of the Technology’s processes, safety and the relationship with his stakeholders.
Your detailed responsibilities :
- You manage, together with the different project teams and based upon an effective communication with the stakeholders, the UPMR investment project portfolio in line with the investment strategy. The objective is to deliver these projects in line with the agreed upon scope, quality, planning and budget while focus, robustness & simplicity are key.
- You develop and ensure an effective and skilled Technology organisation, which is able to meet at any moment future CAPEX portfolio in terms of resources, competencies, knowledge domains and expertise
- You coach the team on continuous improvement of the main processes of your department and the internal procedures to deliver the results envisaged.and share the different know how in the project teams among all team members
- You maintain excellent relationships and communication with your stakeholders so to realize a constructive and effective collaboration
- You coach your people so they continuously take into account all safety/environmental-concerns and topics (TRA/PHA/HAZOP/…) during the design, execution and commissioning of their projects as well as the yearly shutdowns
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master degree in Engineering or Applied Science. Speciality in Chemical (hydro- and pyrometallurgy) or Electro-mechanical engineering is a plus.
- You have obtained more than 15 years industrial experience of which 10 years in an engineering environment in the process industry. You have at least 5 years of experience in a supervisory role.
- You are able to demonstrate proven Project Management skills from concept to realisation and project closure.
- You show technical competencies in the different disciplines (mechanical, electrical, civil, automatization, materials) to understand and coach the Project Managers.
- You have solid knowledge about environmental, health and safety issues in a context of the current and relevant legislation.
- You are fluent in Dutch and English, speaking and reading French and German is a plus. You can easily communicate on a written and oral basis.
- You are a strong organizer, able to handle a complex project portfolio and work effectively with priorities and different stakeholders.
- You have strong leadership and coaching capacities for all your team members (team of approx. 60 internal and external collaborators). You are able to build a learning organisation for all of them.
- You are a good decision taker and you are able to initiate actions.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our recycling teams can help tackle resource scarcity, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?