Business Development Manager Photonics
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Electro Optic Materials
Power in space. Vision at night. Coatings thinner than human hair. 3D sensing. Umicore is a world leader in material solutions for the space, optics and electronics sectors – enabling every day cutting-edge technologies. We guarantee our customers secure access to supply, plus recycling technologies that give materials a new lease of life. To enable technological applications with even higher performance, and provide recycling to new markets, we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to introduce our developments, connect to the semiconductor value chain and build long-term relationships with key players in the field. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Purpose of the function
We are at a pivotal moment. Umicore’s Ge substrates are being picked up for the manufacturing of a myriad of opto-electronic devices, of which VCSELs are the furthest developed right now. It will be your task to build a network within the (compound) semiconductor world to convince the entire value chain of Umicore’s products. After successful initial introductions, you are responsible of following up qualifications, understanding and translating customer requirements to the production team and providing input for future developments to our R&D team. You will foster the built relationships and expand wherever possible.
- Acquire a clear understanding of today’s photonics and compound semiconductor industry and how Umicore’s Ge substrates can play a role in there.
- Build a global network within that industry, throughout the value chain.
- Identify and connect to the decision makers.
- Identify the needs of direct customers and evaluate their potential
- Be the primary contact of our targeted semiconductor customers and manage the partner and consortium relationships.
- Educate all relevant Umicore stakeholders on the business environment of the target market segments.
- Contribute to product development by bringing input from the customers to the R&D and production teams.
- Create reports and analytical assessments on both the business environment as specific customers.
- Contribute to the overall strategic plan for Umicore’s role in the photonics and compound semiconductor industry in general.
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master’s or PhD degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Engineering, Engineering Physics or Engineering in micro/nano electronics with at least 5 years working experience in the photonics or compound semiconductor value chain.
- You have an in-depth understanding of opto-electronic semiconductor technology and applications such as VCSELs, photodetectors, 3D sensing, etc. You are passionate about technology.
- You have 3 to 5 years experience in a techno-commercial or business development role.
- You have an open personality, you are a relationship builder and you nurture partnerships.
- You are a true team player with a habit of open and transparent communication.
- You are an excellent communicator, with good oral and written presentation skills.
- You are willing to travel frequently, you have an open mindset to other cultures and habits, and you can adapt to these.
- You are proficient in English.
- You have an ability to work within a strategy while also building that same strategy.
- You can work remote globally, but with a preference for Europe or USA.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our germanium solutions can help provide power in space, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO