Business Development Manager Battery Recycling
New Business Incubation
Business Development, Process & Product Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubator (NBI)
The CTO organization is structured around two pillars: Corporate Research & Development (CRD) and New Business Incubation (NBI). NBI is a newly-created unit that will lead Umicore efforts to identify and incubate next generation disruptive technologies with the aim of creating new business opportunities. CRD and NBI will, in close collaboration with the business units, cover Umicore technology innovation roadmap for the short, medium and long term.
What you will be doing
As Business Development Manager you are accountable for creating (identifying, developing and rolling out) new business opportunities in Battery Recycling.
You will manage information collection (market opportunities, competing technologies, disruptive business models,…) and market prospection, you build a commercial network and marketing tools, you envision a business strategy… all aiming at unlocking a business potential with impactful revenues in a timeframe of 5-10 years. You complement CRD’s technical program manager in developing a customer-centric value proposition and preparing a corresponding global go to market strategy.
Detailed Responsibilities :
- You identify and – in close collaboration with CRD’s technical program manager – propose value creating strategies for new battery recycling business opportunities. You elaborate on business models (integrating business opportunities, risks, technology roadmap and operational deployment), you develop and follow associated plans for future service/solutions platforms. You visualize the recyclables roadmap and translate this into a Umicore processes and services roadmap.
- You identify customer needs, evaluate customer potential, build and coordinate best in class network in the market (global – internal, customers, suppliers and other relevant players, define the target lead customers). You define, together with the relevant Business Unit and NBI stakeholders (marketing/technology/operations), a market introduction plan and closely follow up on its implementation. You coordinate trial runs and possibly first commitments to prospective customers (until handing over to the sales team of a business unit or NBI incubator).
- In collaboration with NBI’s Strategic insights and Analytics team, you identify and follow market and technology trends (in your domain of expertise). You identify and monitor the competitive landscape. You map the value chain of relevant battery recyclables, for which Umicore processes and services could catalyze business growth.
- You educate all relevant Umicore stakeholders on the business environment of the target market segments. You monitor department business innovation KPIs and consolidate with PMO.
The geographical area of these activities is worldwide. The position will be located in Antwerp, Belgium.
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master Degree in Science (Chemistry, physics, engineering…) with at least 3 years working experience in the battery value chain. With your mix of commercial and technical interest -which is key for this function- you are able to evaluate the business value throughout the whole battery value chain.
- Commercial and business development experience (a minimum of 5 years) are a must to strenghten your entrepreneurial focus and capability of building new business.
- You have a proven ability to translate technology trends into business opportunities and business models.
- You have strong project and program management experience, good understanding of technology and innovation management.
- Fluency in both oral and written English is a must. Chinese/Korean/Japanese are a plus. German/French are a nice to have.
- You are an excellent and persuasive communicator, with good oral and written presentation skills.
- You can work on your own under general direction, have a good sense of prioritization of assigned goals and manage time accordingly in collaboration within your network and with your team(s).
- You are willing to travel frequently.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO