Business Development Manager Batteries
New Business Incubation
Business Development, Process & Product Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubator
The CTO organization is structured around two pillars: Corporate Research & Development (CRD) and New Business Incubation (NBI). NBI is a newly-created unit that will lead Umicore efforts to identify and incubate next generation disruptive technologies with the aim of creating new business opportunities. CRD and NBI will, in close collaboration with the business units, cover Umicore technology innovation roadmap for the short, medium and long term.
What you will be doing
As Business Development Manager you are accountable for creating (identifying, developing and rolling out) new business opportunities within the Umicore NBI Battery landscape.
You will manage the information collection (market opportunities, competing technologies, product competitors,…) and the market prospection, you build a commercial network and marketing tools, you envision a business strategy… all aiming at initiating a business potential with its’ large revenues range in a timeframe of 10 years. You complement the NBI incubation program managers in the global product development approach to market.
Detailed Responsibilities :
- You identify and – in close collaboration with incubation program managers– you propose value creating strategies for new battery business opportunities. You elaborate on business models (integrating business opportunities, risks, technology roadmap and operational roll-out), you develop and follow associated plans for the future products/solutions platforms. You visualize the application roadmap and translate this into a Umicore products and services roadmap.
- You identify customers needs, evaluate customers potential, build and coordinate best in class network in the market (global – internal, customers, suppliers and other relevant players, define the target lead customers). You define together with the relevant Business Unit and NBI stakeholders (marketing/technology/operations) a market introduction plan and monitor the progress regularly. You coordinate samples and possibly first sales to prospective customers (until taken over by the sales team of a business unit or NBI incubator).
- In collaboration with Strategic insights and Analytics team, you identify and follow market and applications trends (in your domain of competences). You identify and monitor competitive landscape. You map the value chain of relevant battery segments where Umicore products and services could contribute to business growth.
- You educate all relevant Umicore stakeholders on the business environment of the target market segments. You monitor department business innovation KPIs and consolidate with PMO.
The geographical area of these activities is worldwide. The position will be located in Brussels, Belgium.
Who we are looking for
- You have a Master Degree in Science (Chemistry, physics, engineering…) with over 5 years working experience in the battery value chain. With your mix of commercial and technical interest -which is key for this function- you are able to evaluate the business value throughout the whole battery value chain.
- Business development or commercial experience (3-5 years) are a must to strenghten your entrepreneurial focus and capability of building new business.
- You have a proven ability to translate technology trends into business opportunities .
- You have strong project and program management experience, good understanding of technology and innovation management.
- Fluency in both oral and written English is a must. Chinese/Korean/Japanese are a plus. German/French are a nice to have.
- You are an excellent communicator, with good oral and written presentation skills.
- You can work on your own under general direction, have a good sense of prioritization of assigned goals and manage time accordingly in collaboration within your network and with your team(s).
- You are willing to travel frequently.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO