Associate Scientist Pyrometallurgy
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Driving progress through research. Providing material solutions for the world’s most pressing challenges and anticipating the needs of our customers requires a high level of investment in research. Umicore’s Group Research capabilities focus on new materials and processes to address the megatrends of resource scarcity and clean mobility. The nature of research and development means that we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
As an Associate Scientist in Corporate Research and Development Umicore and located in Olen (BE), you will contribute to the development of new or improvement of existing recycling processes through internal and external R&D efforts. Within a cross-functional team, you will generate knowledge and expertise by performing state-of-the-art desktop calculations, lab or pilot experiments and assisting in industrial experiments in our Hoboken plant. You acquire these insights by executing research projects together with a team and you ensure the continual development of appropriate methods.
- You apply and build up knowledge and expertise in our pyrometallurgical competence in cooperation with various internal teams, external laboratories, and other Business Units.
- You ensure the integration of new knowledge and expertise into internal pyrometallurgical competences through the development of new methods and approaches, and close interaction with various research programs.
- You are hands-on in developing new pyrometallurgical extraction processes by executing research projects together with the team.
- You identify and develop new ideas for IP generation.
- You lead research projects to develop new or improve existing recycling processes ensuring effective execution, taking responsibility for the results, timing, budget and administration.
- You contribute to other R&D projects by actively participating in cross-team events and by facilitating the sharing of expertise amongst colleagues.
- You continue to develop your own as well as the group's expertise in this field. You explore new techniques and create new ideas and developments that might contribute to the growth of the knowledge domain.
- You build upon your network of excellence in order to explore new scientific methods and technologies.
- You effectively communicate with all members of the team, external researchers and Business Unit(s).
- You assess and improve the quality system, the safety policies and environmental & health processes and procedures.
Who we are looking for
- You have obtained a PhD in Sciences or Engineering, preferably in Extractive Metallurgy, or equivalent by experience.
- You are interested in applied industrial research.
- You have a systematic and comprehensive approach towards technical and scientific issues and new developments.
- You are strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting.
- You are result-oriented, creative and your work passion proves infectious; as such, you succeed in convincing other people.
- You are a team player and customer minded.
- You have good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company.
- You have strong analytical skills, able to assess & summarize(numerical) information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- You are prepared to occasionally travel abroad.
- Fluent in English, both written and orally. Willingness to learn Dutch.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?